Effectiveness of an emergency response for a local or national disaster that has occurred within the last 5 years
Emergency Response Presentation
The purpose of this assignment is to evaluate the effectiveness of an emergency response for a local or national disaster that has occurred within the last 5 years.
- A minimum of four scholarly or peer-reviewed research articles are required. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and nursing content.
- While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines.
- You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite for similarity and plagiarism check.
Investigate local or national disasters that have occurred within the last 5 years. These can be related to climate emergencies, such as flood, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, wildfire, or volcanos. Other types could be related to terrorism, bioterrorism, accidents, biological or chemical agents, disease outbreaks such as an infectious disease pandemic, foodborne terrorism, or active shooter with mass casualty preparedness.
Select one disaster and evaluate the emergency response that occurred for that event. Refer to topic Resources for additional information regarding different types of emergency response plans for local and national disasters.
Create about 8-10-slide PowerPoint presentation discussing the local or national disaster you selected and evaluate the emergence response. Create speaker notes of 100-250 words for each slide. For the presentation of your PowerPoint, use Loom to create a voice-over or a video. Refer to the topic Resources for additional guidance on recording your presentation with Loom. Include an additional slide for the title and Loom link at the beginning and an additional slide for References at the end.
Include the following in your presentation:
- Describe the event and explain how it impacted the local or broader community.
- Discuss the emergency response measures that were taken in responding to the event. Evaluate whether the emergency response measures created an appropriate, timely, and effective response. Provide examples and rationale.
- Explain how emergency response efforts included marginalized communities. Discuss whether decision making during this time considered diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Discuss how the principles of a Christian worldview can be applied to ensure inclusion of marginalized communities in emergency response preparation and response.
- Based on your evaluation, what could have been done differently or what could be done differently in the future? How could these suggestions be applied to a similar event?
- Discuss the role of the DNP-prepared nurse when responding to this type of crisis as an emergency responder. How would you lead with moral courage in the emergency response? How would you prioritize and target critical resources to those who need them the most?
Explore the Individual and Community Preparedness Activities page on the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website. https://www.fema.gov/emergency-managers/individuals-communities/what-would-you-do-scenarios
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (2016). Health literacy measurement tools (revised). https://www.ahrq.gov/health-literacy/research/tools/index.html
Population-Based Nursing: Concepts and Competencies for Advanced Practice https://bibliu.com/app/#/view/books/9780826136749/epub/OEBPS/xhtml/9780826136749_Contents.html#page_8
Melmer, P., Carlin, M., Castater, C. A., Koganti, D., Hurst, S. D., Tracy, B. M., Grant, A. A., Williams, K., Smith, R. N., Dente, C. J., & Sciarretta, J. D. (2019). Mass casualty shootings and emergency preparedness: A multidisciplinary approach for an unpredictable event. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare, 12, 1013-1021. https://doi.org/10.2147/JMDH.S219021
Explore the Foodborne Outbreaks page on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website. https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/outbreaks/index.html
Explore the Preparedness Webinars page of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website. https://www.fema.gov/emergency-managers/individuals-communities/preparedness-webinars#hurricanes
Explore the Emergency Preparedness page of the U.S Department of Health and Human Services’ Healthy People website. https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data/browse-objectives/emergency-preparedness
Central Vancouver Island Multicultural Society. (n.d.). Cultural competence self-assessment checklist. http://www.coloradoedinitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/cultural-competence-self-assessment-checklist.pdf
United States Department of Homeland Security – Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). https://www.fema.gov/
Explore the Terrorism Safety Tips page on the American Red Cross website. https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/terrorism.html
Explore the Infectious Disease After a Disaster page on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website. https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/disease/infectious.html
Brous, E. (2019). Legal issues with sexual and gender minority patients in the emergency department. Journal of Legal Nurse Consulting, 30(2), 30-37.
Watch “PrepTalks: Dr. Sheri Fink ‘Healthcare Emergency Preparedness and Response,'” by FEMA (2018), located on the YouTube website. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKs7MlmEzuY
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."